June 21, 2010

Veggie Chips

I made these tonight:



Zucchini, squash and eggplant chips. With sea salt and rosemary.



I got the veggies on trade from Market Days and needed to use them before they met the stinking, rotting fate that most of my vegetables meet. Not really. Well, maybe a little. There's some stank nasty lettuce in the fridge that I'm pretty sure, if left another day, will turn completely into brown sludge. But that's another story.

So yeah, I used my mandolin to slice circles of the vegetables really, really thin. Then I patted them dry with a paper towel to get some of the moisture out. Throw them in a vat of oil next. I used my new cast iron skillet (thanks Julie!) and filled it with olive oil. Olive oil has the potential to burn pretty quickly - for some reason it heats up quicker than other oils - so I left the heat on medium. I let it heat up for awhile. It's important to not put your frying subject(s) in before the oil is hot enough. Otherwise, your stuff will just soak up the oil and just be one big ball of oil. Oily balls. There's nothing grosser. Wait, what?

Moving on, so drop the veggies into the hot oil and wait for them to curl up and get light brown. When they've reached this point, take them out and put them on a paper towel covered plate. Sprinkle with some sea salt and chopped rosemary.

And eat them. Eat a lot of them. And please forget that I used the phrase "oily balls". Thank you and goodnight.

No comments: