March 4, 2010

Thoughtful Thursdays: Regarding Smiling

I must have a dorky, permanent smile plastered on my face a good 90% of the time. I say this because the minute I walk around my office without one, coworkers begin asking, "What's wrong? Are you okay? You look sad." When, in all reality, I am just mindlessly getting a cup of coffee, not thinking about well, anything really. Someone in my office actually said today, "This is literally the first time I've ever seen you without a smile on your face." (I think it should be noted that this person has frown lines which indicate they haven't smiled since the summer of '72.)

I like that I have this problem. I've had a few life experiences that had great potential to steal away this permasmile. But they didn't. I have always been able to find the tiny patch a blue in an otherwise gray sky.

I can't tell you why exactly. Some may say that it's because I'm a Christian. But I won't be the first to point out that even some Christians are the most downbeat, frown-y warm bodies around. Others may say that I choose to surround myself with some pretty amazing people. I do. I have incredible people in my life. However, I also spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week with Billy Bob; so that can't be entirely it. And then some might say it's because all of my needs are met: roof over my head, money in the bank, stocked fridge, having someone who tells me he loves me, etc. But those things don't gaurantee happiness. Prime example - Danny Bonaduce. (Yes, I know there are better examples out there. Dustin Diamond, Rob Van Winkle, and my favorite family and yours, the Kardashians, are just a few. But I just like saying Danny Bonaduce. It sounds funny.)

No, here's my theory: I think that when God was putting me together up there in his heavenly pantry full of looks, characteristics, personalily, and qualities, he threw in a little extra from the happy jar. He just wanted me to smile through it all. And I do.

He could have left the chubby on the shelf though.
**************************************************************
So I'm starting this thing called "Thoughtful Thursdays". A lot of the other sites I frequent do the same thing. Like Monty Monday's here and Sunday Sweets here, so I'm following suit. Thoughtful Thursdays will be a weekly thing in which I talk about something meaningful, heartfelt, kinda serious but still fun. (In other words, I won't be making fun of people, talking about my life: the diet years, stupid work stuff, or rambling.) I hope you enjoy this side of me, sans snark.

2 comments:

amber said...

"Consider it joy..." (James 1:2) I've always thought of you when I hear this verse. Mostly because you quoted it soon after you ran into a random pipe in the BSU parking lot and messed up your bumper. You considered it joy...your mom, not so much.

I'm PeyPey! said...

Hahaha! I sooo remember that! And then the guys had to rig up my bumper with with a wire coat hanger. That thing held for 2+ years on old Mitsi Magic. :)

Miss ya'll!