January 14, 2010

Today's Top Ten

On my mind today? Breathing.

I was walking back from lunch and took a deep breath. Cold air filled my lungs. It felt goooooood! Good like a really deep stretch. Good like a freezing cold beer on a warm summer night. Good like a make-you-get-a-side-stitch laugh with friends. Good like...well, you get the idea. Here's the thing though - it was the first time today that I took notice of my breathing. And no, I don't take notice of it everyday; I mean, who does? It just happens, without any effort; why pay attention to it?

But it felt so good and I was caught off gaurd by the gratitude I felt by being able to perform such a mundane activity that I was stricken with the thought, "Hey Peyton, what other normal, everyday activities, people or things do you take for granted and should express your gratitude for right now?"

This question is one of those we all ask ourselves every once in awhile, right? Perhaps after we've lost something or someone that we've been taking for granted. Perhaps at Thanksgiving, that one day per year we are expected to be selfless and be grateful for all the wonderful people and things in our lives (even your Aunt Marge, sitting at the end of the table, looking all smug and taking more than her fair share of the mashed potatoes and gravy.). Or perhaps on a day like today, a day like every other day, when something, someone catches us off gaurd and fills us with sentiment.

So, naturally, I've compiled a list of my answers to that question for today (in no particular order. I say this so that you Christians out there will not judge that a cup of coffee comes before Jesus on this list.):

1. The ability to see, hear, taste (although my waistline is not grateful for this one), touch, smell...and breathe.
2. The people in this life who love me despite my inane mistakes and accidents, my inability to think of anyone but myself, and who have the willingness to help me dislodge my foot from my mouth when I've said something I shouldn't have.
3. Money in the bank. Although it's not a lot, it affords me the ability to pay my bills and enjoy superfluous activities.
4. Cheap. Ass. Rent. For real, for the amount of rent I pay, I should be living south of the traintracks. Like, WAY south.
5. My wheels. Sure, the front bumper's hanging off, the use of packing tape has been smartly employed to hold the right side mirror on, and it smells faintly of feet, but it gets me from point A to point B.
6. My education. All 21 years of it. And no, I don't have Ph.D. I just had some college professors who actually took attendance.
7. Optimism. I am definitely more like a glass overflowing type of gal. While this trait may render me a bit naive, it keeps a permasmile on my face; and I would prefer to grow old displaying laugh lines, not frown lines.
8. A really delicious, quenching cup of coffee on a cold morning. Warms me up quite cozily.
9. All of the experiences - heartwrenching, belly-laugh inducing, wake-up-you-idiot-this-is-life, experiences - in this life that have shaped me into the PeyPey I am today.
10. Sweet Jesus and his sacrifice. 'Nuff said.

That's my list for today. What's yours? What are you thankful for today that you took for granted yesterday and probably will tomorrow too? Just wondering.

2 comments:

kat-tastic! said...

"7. Optimism. I am definitely more like a glass overflowing type of gal. While this trait may render me a bit naive, it keeps a permasmile on my face; and I would prefer to grow old displaying laugh lines, not frown lines."

a big fat WORD to ya mutha. love it!

I'm PeyPey! said...

Oh yeah. I'm definitely a glass half full kind of gal...especially when the glass is full of wine. :)