June 15, 2010

I'm calling these "Fat Rolls"

I made cinnamon rolls the other night. Just like with most of my other baking endeavors, I had some early onset anxiety about making these puppies. But it turns out, as long as you've got some patience, they're pretty easy. And delicious. And if you ate one of these a day for the rest of your life, you'd eventually be as big as a house. No, a skyrise. Ok, no, maybe just a house. No. You'd be as big as 10 whales. There we go. You'd be big. You'd be blubbery. That's why I'm calling these Fat Rolls.

I'm not going to go through the recipe with you because there's a lot of steps, and well, I'm lazy. You can go here to check it out. Instead, I'm just going to walk you through the pictures. And please excuse the blue hue in the photos. I have these really stank nasty under the cabinet flourescent lights and they don't do much for picture taking. As usual, my baking project started out this way:

"Scalding" the milk, oil, and sugar:
Here's how it looks after you've added all the dry ingredients and t's risen:
The dough it very, very elastic:
So you divide the dough in half (each half makes 2 dozen) and roll it into a rectangle:
After you spread on the butter, sugar, and cinnamon, this will happen if your butter is too hot. And the recipe called for 2 cups of butter; in the second batch, I used a half a cup and this did not happen:
Yeah, that was not fun:
See, here's the second batch. No mess:
Aren't they cute? They look like roses to me. After cutting them, you have to let them rise again for a few minutes:
Rise, dough, rise!
See how they got puffy:
And here are the little babies after they come out of the oven:
You pour this delicious maple glaze over them:
I wish you could smell them. Oh man. The smell. I want perfume that smells like this:
I'm a proud mama:
And then I cleaned up my kitchen, because after all, I am working towards my goal of becoming Ms. Domestic U.S.A.:
And then I cleaned out my pantry:
You wish you were me.

And that, my friends, is the story of the Fat Rolls. Come back to story time soon. Maybe we'll travel to Italy and I'll teach you how to make Focaccia Bread. Toodles!

No comments: