March 11, 2010

Thoughtful Thursdays: Regarding Love

A friend was talking to me the other day about love.

I kind of tuned her out, as I tend to do when anyone is talking to me. (Maybe I need to look into getting a prescription for this little narcissistic problem I have.) I began thinking of my relationship with Mark. We've been together over 4 years now. We're still figuring each other out. What he likes; what I like that he does for me; what I hate that he does that he really likes doing that I'll have to learn to like because he won't stop doing it; and vice versa. That kind of thing, you know?

He knows me pretty well; I'd say as well as the BFF and she's been around for 20+ years. He knows the pretty bleak things about me, my family - all those experiences you wish you could pack away in a box labeled "SUCKY" and toss in that dark corner of your attic, never to be thought of again, but that somehow always ALWAYS effect the way you deal with current situations, hardships and experiences. Yeah. He knows all about those. And he actually stuck around through some of the worst ones.

My listening abilities miraculously returned to this conversation I was having in time to hear my friend say this, "I don't want to just love him. I want to love him no matter what."

I'm there. I'm to that place in my love for Mark. And I know he is too.

So comforting.

No comments: