June 24, 2009

Strawberry Fields Forever

I have mentioned before that I would like to overcome the adage, "eating is for pleasure". I wanted to put myself, my mind, my body through an eating bootcamp with my war cry or cadence being:

MUST NOT EAT FOR PLEASURE!
OR ELSE MY PANTS GROW TIGHTER!
MY WAIST GETS MUCH BIGGER!
MUST NOT EAT FOR PLEASURE!
HOOA!

But I'm beginning to understand something: eating IS pleasurable. Why in the world would God have created such things as the sweetness of strawberries, the juicy, thirst quench of a watermelon, the raw simplicity of a carrot, the perfect purple of a plum, the fulfillment of a potato, the spiciness of a jalepeno? I am 100% positive that God created those things, with their specific attributes, for OUR pleasure.

It's the way we manipulate those perfect creations - preserve them, fry them, freeze dry them - that creates this "oh that's bad for me; I can't have that" mentality. I'll be the first to admit that I have fallen into that way of thinking.

Because I am dieting, I must not enjoy food. SO NOT TRUE PEOPLE!!

I brought a baggie of fresh strawberries and blackberries to work this morning for breakfast. I picked up a strawberry. I smelled it - it smelled of earth, of unadulerated sweetness. I bit into it - juicy, fruity, perfect explosion in my mouth. As for the blackberries, I still have seeds stuck in my teeth. What a wonderful, albeit annoying, thing!

So my new quest, instead of only eating for sustanance, is to eat the perfect food I know God created and intended for me to eat.

(Disclaimer: I am sure the occasional french fry might slip into my mouth. Just being honest.)

No comments: